Monday, August 29, 2011

Grateful



My little man is finally sleeping after an hour of pleading with me to stay in his bed with him. I'm not going to lie, it makes me smile when he whines, "Mommy, wait!", and then snuggles up to me as he whispers bedtime songs in my ear.

My fantastic husband is at work. It's 9:24 pm, which means he has about 4 more hours left. He never complains about having to work night shifts at a less-than-rewarding job, even when he must wake up early the next day for a full day of school and all the other demanding tasks that require his full commitment. It is indeed a cherished moment when I can really comprehend all he is doing to support and provide for our small family.

My ears are absorbing the sweet and tender notes Adele has offered up, and I feel at peace with myself and the world. I'm not worrying about the fact that I didn't run today, or make it into the shower. I'm not beating myself up about "should have's", or cringing at my dark roots. The unfinished paintings and clumsy piano attempts remind me that I am human, and that I have time to perfect my imperfections.

My heart is full and my soul is content.

No comments:

Post a Comment