Monday, December 10, 2012

Free at Last!

The little ones and I spent this past week visiting our favorite Arizonians.  It was like an early Christmas, despite the projectile vomiting and foregoing of daily naps.  We survived the 6-hour car ride on rations of Chex Mix and Big Gulps.  And of course, the only stations the radio seemed to pick up were playing non-stop Christmas music...seriously, how many versions of "The Little Drummer Boy" are there?  

The best part of this week though (besides discovering Bahama Bucks and Cafe Rio)?  I deleted my Facebook account.   

Feel free to pin a golden star on my big girl shirt anytime.

This has kinda been a long-time coming.  I've been going back and forth, but whenever I had my mouse hovering over the "Deactivate Account" button, this stupid little thing would pop up:




Pavlov's Dogs anyone?

I don't know what it is about virtual acknowledgment?  I mean, I know my kids are adorable and that the photo I took of myself in the mirror looks AMAZING (because I purposefully cropped out my double-chin and frizzy hair), but somehow it's more validating when you know 24 people from your old high school pushed the thumbs-up icon. 

I think I would end up developing an eating disorder if I stayed on Facebook too much longer.  Not kidding.  There is nothing that takes a punch to your self-esteem more than seeing one of your husband's ex-girlfriends  posting a picture of herself running a friggin' marathon, while you're sitting on the couch...stalking Facebook...wishing you could run a marathon...and eating Oreo's.  (I guess if this was the case, my eating disorder of choice would be binge-eating and purging...without the purging.)

Don't even get me started on status updates..."So proud of my three-year-old!  He just learned how to ride a bike, count to 100, and speak Elvish...all in one day!" 

My three-year-old still refers to himself in the third person and thinks chickens say, "Grrrrrr".

While I will indeed miss being able to see pictures of a friend's new baby, or an old co-worker's wedding day, or even things like Gagnam Style... I won't miss the compulsion.  The compulsion to compare my worst to someone else's best.  The compulsion to harshly judge my own life to the increasingly-falsified world of social media.  The compulsion to live for the validity of a little red notification icon.

Deactivated!



 




1 comment:

  1. Can I just say that I've had quite a few of my friends deactivate their accounts lately, too, and they talk about how freeing it is. I really should do it, and want to, but then I think of how convenient it is, especially with church stuff.

    Way to go for actually doing it! I hope to follow in your footsteps one of these days! And then maybe I could focus on my blog...

    ReplyDelete